Wednesday 26 May 2010

Beautiful Interior + Shit Food + Crap Knives = Zizzi

So me and my two friends thought we'd catch a bite to eat before we went to see comedian, Shappi Khorsandi and Jon Richardson at the Nottingham Playhouse.

Various places were tossed around but we settled on Zizzi's after I remember going while I was in London a few years back.

What a mistake that was!

Zizzi, if you've never been, looks nice and modern on the outside, very very beautiful inside and very comfortable too. The furnishings are clean, cream and bright with a very expensive twist (such as trees growing in the restaurant and various alcoves and, I counted, three seperate stair cases). The staff were very welcoming and inviting, maybe this was their downfall.

Now when I go out for a meal with my friends, I like to think I'll have a good time, so when the waitress asked if we would like bread or olives to begin with, I eagerly said yes. Having just placed my order for a refreshing lemonade.

Conversation flowed, innuendos galore, lots of gorping at the men... the waitress brought over the beginnings of our meal. This is where things went pairshaped.

My glass of lemonade was the size of a small mobile phone, the bread that came was fairly dry and bland, of which only had two of each type of bread, not much use for three of us. The olives came too, I promptly found out that my two other friends don't like olives, great! More for me!... Not so great when they tasted like they'd been sat in vinager all their lives and you had about 20 to eat before your main course.

After discarding the "starters", our main courses arrived fairly soon after!

Whilst ordering my Sophia pizza, I was asked if I wanted the thinner but slightly larger base, I said yes, thinking the price would probably be the same, considering they're using the same if not less dough...

Looking around at my friend's food options I thought I had a pretty good choice, their food came with rather small and bland looking salads, I thought my rather massive pizza would just be enough to fill a rather average sized appetite.

5 minutes later and I'm still sawing away at my pizza with the worlds bluntest knife. My two friends are happily gobbling away at their lasagne and calzone... I'm still here, sawing into my pizza. Eventually, my calzone friend had finished and I was no further into ingesting my pizza, I signaled for the waitress to come over. Still in fairly high spirits (mainly due to the dehydration and good conversation) I asked the waitress for a new knife, but in doing so, in fact said "Do you have another knife? Something like a steak knife, because this knife is crap." A slip of the tounge, but none the less, completely acurate! To kick my mood down several pegs, she said "No sorry" and smiled a concerning smile. I had already gone around my friends and tried their knives, so once she brought back a knife of the same cutting ability, I was less than impressed.
I proceeded to tear off the cold, tasteless pizza with my teeth to try and ingest some of the money I had paid to get this pizza.

Finished my "meal" and asked for the bill. £41.50 for three people. Fair enough. But once I totalled my meal's price it came to £20! What on!?
Well, the pizza on it's own was £9.50, plus another £1.50 for the extra thin, slightly wider pizza. My drink was £2.00, £3.00 for the bread and a staggering £4.00 for the olives!

Dissheartened at the terrible meal, I was in too lower spirits to give Zizzi's more than a hard pushed 5 / 10, and maybe the interior helped push it towards a 6, but half those points are probably made up from the conversation we had and the fairly average talent available across the other few tables.

Think I'll stick to at food Trent Kebabs or Food Factory for a good night out!

1 comment:

timnottingham said...

The sad thing is, had they actually told us how much the bread/olives/different base were, and had they had steak knives (they serve steak...) there would have been nothing wrong with the meal.

It did really ruin something which was pretty amazing! Sad times :(